There are many different ways to acquire a permanent residence visa for Australia. However, some visas are much more difficult to obtain than others. Here we provide you the three most common ways in which Filipinos find permanent residency in Australia.

Student Visa 500, to Temporary Graduate Visa 485, to permanent Skilled Nominated visa 190

The student visa (Subclass 500) is the most common visa used by Filipinos to enter Australia. The student visa will allow you to work part-time while your course is in semester and full-time while on University break. Be careful to choose your course wisely, though. What you study and where you study could have serious implications on your eligibility for a permanent visa in years to come.

If you study at the Bachelor’s or Master’s degree level, then you are able to apply for the Graduate visa under the Post-study Work stream(Subclass 485). This visa will allow you to remain in Australia and work fulltime for two years.

Toward the end of your two-year Graduate Visa, you might be eligible for a permanent visa under the state Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190). This visa is based on the individual jobs in demand in each state of Australia. The state governments are responsible for determining their own state occupation lists based on their projected needs. Some state governments provide additional rewards and preferential options to those who have studied in their state. Ideally, if you chose the correct occupation and in the correct state then you will have an option under Subclass 190.

"You might be eligible for a permanent visa under the state Skilled Nominated Visa"

Temporary Skill Shortage visa 482, to Employer Nomination Scheme 186

If you work in an occupation on the Medium and Long term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) then you potentially have a pathway from temporary work visa to a permanent residence work visa. Be warned though, if your occupation is on the Short term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL), you do not have a direct pathway to permanent residency.

The Temporary Skill Shortage visa (Subclass 482), otherwise known as the employer sponsored visa, allows employers in Australia to bring foreign workers to Australia on a temporary work visa for up to four years. If you stay with the employer and work for them in the same occupation for three years, then the employer has the option to sponsor you on the Employer Nomination Scheme visa (Subclass 186).

You must be under the age of 45 when you make your application for permanent residence under the 186 visa and have competent English language skills. Your employer must support this application for permanent residency and pay the Skilling Australia Fund (SAF). You can include your spouse and children on both the 482 and 186 visas.

Australian permanent Partner Visas, subclass 801 and 309

If your partner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia, then you can apply for a permanent partner visa. The Partner Visa system is split into temporary and permanent partner visas. However, the temporary and permanent partner visas are submitted together, in what is referred to a combined application.

The decision as the whether you will be granted a temporary partner visa or a permanent partner visa will be determined by the length of your relationship at the time the application is submitted. Couples who can demonstrate a genuine committed relationship of three years or more will be eligible for a permanent partner visa. Those with less than three years of cohabitation will only be eligible for a temporary partner visa. There is an exception for those couples who have children together, who will be eligible for a permanent partner visa after two years of a committed relationship.

If you are granted a temporary partner visa, you will be eligible to be assessed again under the permanent partner visa criteria two years after the initial application was submitted. You will have to submit more evidence, covering the past two years, to demonstrate that the relationship is genuine and ongoing. However, as the application was a combined application, you do not have to pay a new fee at that stage.

The Partner Visa system is also split into offshore and onshore subclasses. If you are outside of Australia, you will make an “offshore” application under the temporary subclass 309 and the permanent subclass 100. If you are inside Australia you will make an “onshore” application under the temporary subclass 820 and the permanent partner subclass 801.

Get in touch with us on or give us a call on (03) 8651 4505.